Pictorial Resumé - Julie Flanagan - 2021
"My greatest joy is sharing my talent with the community."
(The above it a promotional montage for my workshop and TV Segment in 2018)
Solo Show "Altered" at Kansas City's prestigious 60 year old KC Artists Coalition. 26 pieces. Themed: An Altered life as Manifested in Altered Art. 2019
- 26 successful juried submissions, Torpedo Factory's Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Acceptance rate of 100 out of 650 for monthly displays. 2016-present
- 3 Artworks chosen for 3 international shows, Art Underground, Washington DC. 2019-2020
- Artwork chosen out of 1000, top 100 accepted, at international exhibition "State of Photography" Endres Gallery, P. V. KS, 100 selected out of 1000 2021
- Selected to show/sell my art in Prairie Village Art Festival, 2019
- 4 Artworks accepted for show at Durant Arts Center's juried exhibit: "Young at Art" Oct/Nov 2016
2nd place at Gallery Underground, Washington DC International show with1500
As a relatively naive midwest woman, I attended this, my first major protest: the Women’s March on Washington in January 2017. It was profoundly changed and empowered me on that it conjured up latent memories of a couple sexual assaults on me back in college in the 1970’s. Oddly, I never thought much of them before this protest because, sadly, I built an acceptance to that being the way men were and that perhaps it was my fault for leading them on. This artwork is my manifestation of my awakening and is symbolic for me on there levels.
Honorable mention among 800 auction pieces artworks exhibited Torpedo Factory’s Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA 2021
2nd Place at The Center Gallery, City of Overland Park, KS 2016
Collaborations with Cities & Organizations
- Founder and Chair the City of Prairie Village's "Future of the Arts" annual children’s fine arts exhibitions. Upon request of (now) Mayor Eric Mikkelson as part of role on the PV Council for 11 years, innovated a way to get younger families involved in the city.
- Directed for six years, doubling in size every year, welcoming the visual, literary and performing arts.
- Directed children’s recruitment and promotions, parent communications, CeFÉ, judges, installation, opening gala, entertainment, and hands-on activities for attendees.
- Hosted/moderating all the on-stage performances and awards presentations and syncing awards with my slide show design. 2012 - 2019
- Co-Chair and Art Environment designer, National Catholic Youth Conference:
- Bartle Hall Convention Center, planned and coordinated the 8800 square feet of fabric hung from 30 foot ceilings
Managed $12,000 budget within tight time-line. (As a volunteer.) 2008
- Founder and Chair, "Nativity School Art Festival" Leawood KS
- Executed large-scale, annual exhibit of 700 students’ visual and performing arts highlighting musicians, make-and-take art for families, and inclusive of multidimensional student art
- Hosted 350+ families, with 40 parent volunteers
- Included nationally known visiting artists, professional musicians to influence students.
- City of Alexandria VA: Within a $10.000 budget, designed a large hard-scape neighborhood entry, creating a large brick encasement for mailboxes the included elements including brick flower boxes.
- Worked with a team to coordinate passage of the design with a highly strict city planning board. The board passed it, stating that it enhanced and did not compromised the important historic setting of the city.
- Provided concept rendering, color illustrations
Provided design of hour-long powerpoint presentation of design.
- Co-Chaired Decorations for Bishop Miege Auctions, netting $150.000 annually 2000 – 2006,
- Coordinating 35+ volunteers to thematically transform gym, cafeteria, commons.
- Designed and engineered a 45ft. dragon mobile from 30ft. ceiling.
- Designed, created 8x18ft. stage backdrop.
- Co-chaired Art and Environment Committee for St. Ann's Catholic church,
- Designing twenty-four 44x108" banners for aisles at Easter,
- Large scale decor for Christmas, Pentecost, and Lent. 1997
- Provided Corporate Sponsorship via ownership of ARTrageous Studio:
- "Children’s Area" at KC IrishFest 2009-2011
- “State of the Arts” and Annual Art Exhibition, Prairie Village Art Council 2008-9
- "Village Jazz Fest” 2013.
- Full-time artist working in digitally altered photography exhibiting in juried shows and galleries in both Alexandria VA and Kansas City areas. Showing at The Torpedo Factory's Art League Gallery, Old Town Alexandria, VA and at 2010 Gallery in Prairie Village KS
- Founder ARTrageous Studios, and on-line art sales site, workshops, outreach, August 2016- present
Founder, owner, director and art educator: ARTrageous Creative Studio, hosted 4700 students with courses, camps, workshops and parties. Prairie Village, KS, 2007-2016
- Master level Art Educator The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art, used the collection to inspire art lesson plans. 1989 - 2012
- In Community Services: Off-site and on-site art ed. for disadvantaged children
- Taught workshops to groups from all over the region, coordinating with their teachers and parents.
- Taught courses and camps to families and students of all ages
- Designed and facilitated projects and activities for Family Days.
- Nativity Parish School: Solo Art Educator to 680 students - August 1992 – May 2007
- Leawood Aquatic Center, Diving Coach – 8 summers 96 - 2005
- Director Julie Flanagan Arts, Art director, Fashion Illustrator, freelance 1983 – 1991
- Artex Mfg. Co. – Designer, Illustrator 1981 - 1983
- Swicegood Commercial Art Studio – Internship 1981
- Diving Coach/Instructor/Lifeguard, Leawood South Country Club, 9 summers 1971 – 1980
Television & Media:
- CBS, KCTV5's "Better Kansas City Show," "ARTrageous Julie" presented 26 monthly arts and crafts segments 2013-2018
Recruited by Prairie Village Shops to create four artworks featured in Magazines: KC Spaces, 435 Magazine, InKC and The Independent, social media, 4000 flyers. 2018-19
- The Leaven Catholic newspaper in November of 2018 for her art collaborative flaming art/prayer, “Art Ignites Prayer.”
- Sun Newspaper outstanding student participation local Logo Design contest
- The Leaven in 2005 for her school-wide collaborative art endeavor commemorating Jesus’s Last Supper.
KMG Hotels, Sanjay Koshiya, President:
— Marriott Garden Airport KC MO: 3 pieces in main entry, on time, under budget.
— Courtyard by Marriott OP, KS: Proposal for 18 pieces for three halls outside elevators (See photos in CaFE)
Halpin & Company, Chris Halpin: UV resistant artwork at street-front entryway to offices, on time, under budget.
Deedee Cooper, Realtor ReeceNichols: 2 installations for formal environment.Considerations: specific color scheme, sizing, framing, on time, at budget.
- Barbara Kovaks, Advisor with Largay Travel: Large 4x6 foot mural, commission from her cell phone photo.
- AnnaMarie Vogel, diptych of family portrait installation for a gathering space. Considerations: representational mood, color scheme, on time, under budget.
- Tim Cahill, Director Architecture, HNTB Corperation, Architecture & Consulting: Two artworks.
- Owen Zidar, KC Southern3, Art works for home in Mission Hills KS.
- Avila College – Education Certification 20 education credit hours 1998, master degree in progress 4.0 GPA
- Kansas University – Bachelor Fine Arts, in Visual Communications 1976-1980 3.5 GPA
- Brain Based Teaching – Baker University, 2005, 18 credit hours. 4.0
- Loyola Rome Center – Rome Italy, 13 art and art history credit hours 1978 4.0 GPA
Community Work & Outreach
- Provided monthly art enhancement for the Interfaith Hospitality Network 2008-present (organization helps displaced in Johnson County, KS)
- Provided monthly art enhancement for homeless families with ReStart 2008- 2010,
- Founded Nativity Liturgical Committee (spiritual leader for the faculty and school, several activities per year) ‘02 – 2006
- Director and Sets Coordinator: Nativity 8th grade plays/musicals, 80-member cast & 70 volunteers, director in 2006, sets in 2001-05
- Presented to 30+ faculty on "Promoting Creative Thinking and Working Skills" with art activity, at Trinity Catholic School 2017
- Five presentations to 30+ on "Art History as it Relates to Christianity" at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church 2016
- Two presentations/power point to 100+ archdiocesan teachers: “Promote Catholicity Through Art Across Curriculum” 2005
- Two presentations to 40+ archdiocesan teachers: “School-wide Art Activities to Promote the Catholic Seasons.” 2004
- Three presentations to 75+ Archdiocesan teachers: “Integrating Visual Arts Across the Curriculum.” 2002
- Three presentations to 35+ Archdiocesan teachers: “Behavior Management in the Art Room” 1999
- Thirteen annual promotional speeches to 250+ parents: “Nativity's Junior High Art Program,” at Nativity Parish School. 2000-2014
- KC Artists Coalition, Sept. 2016- present ~ Art League of Alexandria, July 2016-present
- Member KC's International Visitor's Council: Hosted 2 guests from abroad Azerbaijan for 10 days
- K-Club Letter Women: Kansas University Diving Team 1976 – 1980 Varsity
- National Art Education Association - 1989-2016
- Art experimentation, swimming, singing, travel, hiking, art museums.
My husband, Terry, Engineer Manager at HNTB Corporation, lead engineer for enlargement of Arlington Cemetery, Arlington VA.
Married for 38 years, raised our 3 adult daughters with 4 Grandchildren:
- Shannon: Civil Environmental Engineer, AECom Chicago IL,
- Kelly: MS Johns Hopkins School of International Studies 2012, Assistant to the Dean of International Studies, University of Maryland
- Bridget: Founder/Manufacturer/Designer of NOVAA (LLC), KC based, ethically sourced sustainably made clothing and products.REFERENCES