Pictorial Resumé - Julie Flanagan - 2021
Julie shares her passions and opinions by artfully altering her photos. Her visual messages are what define her digital approach, providing for a variety of work with unexpected perspectives. As a former art teacher at the Nelson Atkins Museum 28 part-time years, founding her own art school, ARTrageous Studio and did a 7-year stint as "ARTrageous Julie" on KCTV5's Better KC Show, Julie now continues finding joy using art-making as her avenue to share. Towards that end, she will again participate in Prairie Village art Fair 2022. She did a solo shows at KC Artist Coalition and Gallery 2010, winning national awards. She also exhibits at the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria VA, her second city. Her 40 years in Prairie Village brought 11 years on its Arts Council where she founded the annual "Future of the Arts" children's exhibit that is still enjoyed today. She teaches art workshops to KC and DC communities and cherishes artful time with KC's displaced families and at-risk teens.
One of my greatest joy is sharing my talent with the community. This 2018 Flyer/Montage is an example of a promotion for my workshop and TV Segment.
Selected to Prairie Village Art Show/Fair 2022, to show and sell my art. 100 chosen out of 100+ submissionsBIO Summary
Julie shares her passions and opinions by artfully altering her photos. Her visual messages are what define her digital approach, providing for a variety of work with unexpected perspectives. As a former art teacher at the Nelson Atkins Museum 28 part-time years, founding her own art school, ARTrageous Studio and did a 7-year stint as "ARTrageous Julie" on KCTV5's Better KC Show, Julie now continues finding joy using art-making as her avenue to share. Towards that end, she will again participate in Prairie Village art Fair 2022. She did a solo shows at KC Artist Coalition and Gallery 2010, winning national awards. She also exhibits at the Torpedo Factory Art Center in Alexandria VA, her second city. Her 40 years in Prairie Village brought 11 years on its Arts Council where she founded the annual "Future of the Arts" children's exhibit that is still enjoyed today. She teaches art workshops to KC and DC communities and cherishes artful time with KC's displaced families and at-risk teens..
- In Alexandria VA: Over 30 successful juried submissions, Torpedo Factory's Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA. Acceptance rate of 100 out of 650+ for monthly displays. 2016-present
Artworks Selected: 3 Artworks chosen for 3 international shows, Art Underground, Washington DC. 2019-2020
Solo Show: Kansas City's prestigious 60 year old KC Artists Coalition, 26 pieces in my exhibition: Altered: An Altered life as Manifested in Altered Art. 2019
- Artwork Selected: Chosen out of 1000, top 100 accepted, at international exhibition "Art of Photography" Endres Gallery, P. V. KS, 100 selected out of 1000 2021
- Selected to Prairie Village Art Festival, to show and sell my art. 100 chosen out of 100+ submissions 2019
- 4 Artworks Selected: Durant Arts Center's juried exhibit: "Young at Art" Oct/Nov 2016
2nd place at Gallery Underground, Washington DC International show with1500
As a relatively naïve Midwest woman, I attended this, my first major protest: the Women’s March on Washington in January 2017. It was profoundly changed and empowered me on that it conjured up latent memories of a couple sexual assaults on me back in college in the 1970’s. Oddly, I never thought much of them before this protest because, sadly, I built an acceptance to that being the way men were and that perhaps it was my fault for leading them on. This artwork is my manifestation of my awakening and is symbolic for me on there levels.
Honorable mention among 800 auction pieces artworks exhibited Torpedo Factory’s Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA 2021
2nd Place at The Center Gallery, City of Overland Park, KS 2016
Collaborations with Cities & Organizations
- Founder and Chair the City of Prairie Village's "Future of the Arts" annual children’s fine arts exhibitions. Upon request of (now) Mayor Eric Mikkelson as part of role on the PV Council for 11 years, innovated a way to get younger families involved in the city.
- Directed for six years, doubling in size every year, welcoming the visual, literary and performing arts.
- Directed children’s recruitment and promotions, parent communications, CaFÉ, judges, installation, opening gala, entertainment, and hands-on activities for attendees.
- Hosted/moderating all the on-stage performances and awards presentations and syncing awards with my slide show design. 2012 - 2019
- Co-Chair and Art Environment designer, National Catholic Youth Conference:
- Bartle Hall Convention Center, planned and coordinated the 8800 square feet of fabric hung from 30 foot ceilings
Managed $12,000 budget within tight time-line. (As a volunteer.) 2008
- Founder and Chair, "Nativity School Art Festival" Leawood KS
- Executed large-scale, annual exhibit of 700 students’ visual and performing arts highlighting musicians, make-and-take art for families, and inclusive of multidimensional student art
- Hosted 350+ families, with 40 parent volunteers
- Included nationally known visiting artists, professional musicians to influence students.
- City of Alexandria VA: Within a $10.000 budget, designed a large hard-scape neighborhood entry, creating a large brick encasement for mailboxes the included elements including brick flower boxes.
- Worked with a team to coordinate passage of the design with a highly strict city planning board. The board passed it, stating that it enhanced and did not compromised the important historic setting of the city.
- Provided concept rendering, color illustrations
Provided design of hour-long powerpoint presentation of design.
- Co-Chaired Decorations for Bishop Miege Auctions, netting $150.000 annually 2000 – 2006,
- Coordinating 35+ volunteers to thematically transform gym, cafeteria, commons.
- Designed and engineered a 45ft. dragon mobile from 30ft. ceiling.
- Designed, created 8x18ft. stage backdrop.
- Co-chaired Art and Environment Committee for St. Ann's Catholic church,
- Designing twenty-four 44x108" banners for aisles at Easter,
- Large scale décor for Christmas, Pentecost, and Lent. 1997
- Provided Corporate Sponsorship via ownership of ARTrageous Studio:
- "Children’s Area" at KC IrishFest 2009-2011
- “State of the Arts” and Annual Art Exhibition, Prairie Village Art Council 2008-9
- "Village Jazz Fest” 2013.
Television & Media:
- CBS, KCTV5's "Better Kansas City Show," "ARTrageous Julie" presented 26 monthly arts and crafts segments 2013-2018
Recruited by Prairie Village Shops to create four artworks featured in Magazines: KC Spaces, 435 Magazine, InKC and The Independent, social media, 4000 flyers. 2018-19
- The Leaven Catholic newspaper in November of 2018 for her art collaborative flaming art/prayer, “Art Ignites Prayer.”
- Sun Newspaper outstanding student participation local Logo Design contest
- The Leaven in 2005 for her school-wide collaborative art endeavor commemorating Jesus’s Last Supper.
- Full-time artist: Working in digitally altered photography exhibiting in juried shows and galleries in both Alexandria VA and Kansas City areas. Showing at The Torpedo Factory's Art League Gallery, Old Town Alexandria, VA and at 2010 Gallery in Prairie Village KS
- Founder ARTrageous Studios: An on-line art sales site, workshops, outreach, August 2016- present
Founder, owner, director and art educator: ARTrageous Creative Studio, hosted 4700 students with courses, camps, workshops and parties. Prairie Village, KS, 2007-2016
- Master level Art Educator The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art: Used the collection to inspire art lesson plans. 1989 - 2012
- In Community Services: Off-site and on-site art ed. for disadvantaged children
- Taught workshops to groups from all over the region, coordinating with their teachers and parents.
- Taught courses and camps to families and students of all ages
- Designed and facilitated projects and activities for Family Days.
- Solo Art Teacher: Nativity Parish School: To 680+ students - August 1992 – May 2007
- Diving Coach: Leawood Aquatic Center – 8 summers, 96 - 2005
- Art Director & Founder: Julie Flanagan Arts, doing fashion Illustration and ad freelance 1983 – 1991
- T-Shirt Silkscreen Designer/Illustrator: Artex Mfg. Co. One of her designs received an award that added it into their archived colleciton. 1981 - 1983
- Graphic Artist Internship: Swicegood Commercial Art Studio 1981
- Diving Coach/Instructor/Lifeguard, Leawood South Country Club, 9 summers 1971 – 1980
- “Integrating Visual Arts Across the Curriculum.” Three presentations to 75+ Archdiocesan teachers: 2002
- "Promoting Creative Thinking and Working Skills" Presented to 30+ faculty on with art activity, at Trinity Catholic School 2017
- "Art History as it Relates to Christianity" Five presentations to 30+ on at Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church 2016
- “Promote Catholicity Through Art Across Curriculum” Two presentations/power point to 100+ archdiocesan teachers: 2005
- “School-wide Art Activities to Promote the Catholic Seasons.” Two presentations to 40+ archdiocesan teachers: 2004
- “Behavior Management in the Art Room” Three presentations to 35+ Archdiocesan teachers: 1999
- Presented to 160 parents about "An 8th Grade Musical Production meant to Build Christian Fellowship before graduation." I directed the play that year for 80 students, producing it on a grand scale. 2014
- “Art That Will Build Creative Thinking and Working Skills!” Presented annually for 13 years to 250+ junior high parents. 2000-2014
Community Work & Outreach
- Provided monthly art enhancement for the Interfaith Hospitality Network 2008-present (organization helps displaced in Johnson County, KS)
- Provided monthly art enhancement for homeless families with ReStart 2008- 2010,
- Founded Nativity Liturgical Committee (spiritual leader for the faculty and school, several activities per year) ‘02 – 2006
- Director and Sets Coordinator: Nativity 8th grade plays/musicals, 80-member cast & 70 volunteers, director in 2006, sets in 2001-05
Notable Corporate & Private Commissions & Patrons
KMG Hotels, Sanjay Koshiya, President:
— Marriott Garden Airport KC MO: 3 pieces in main entry, on time, under budget.
— Courtyard by Marriott OP, KS: Proposal for 18 pieces for three halls outside elevators (See photos in CaFE)
Halpin & Company, Chris Halpin: UV resistant artwork at street-front entryway to offices, on time, under budget.
Deedee Cooper, Realtor Reece Nichols: 2 installations for formal environment. Considerations: specific color scheme, sizing, framing, on time, at budget.
- Barbara Kovaks, Advisor with Largay Travel: Large 4x6 foot mural, commission from her cell phone photo.
- Anna Marie, diptych of family portrait installation for a gathering space. Considerations: representational mood, color scheme, on time, under budget.
- Tim Cahill, Director Architecture, HNTB Corperation, Architecture & Consulting: Two artworks.
- Owen Zidar, KC Southern3, Art works for home in Mission Hills KS.
- Avila College – Education Certification 20 education credit hours 1998, master degree in progress 4.0 GPA
- Kansas University – Bachelor Fine Arts, in Visual Communications 1976-1980 3.5 GPA
- Brain Based Teaching – Baker University, 2005, 18 credit hours. 4.0
- Loyola Rome Center – Rome Italy, 13 art and art history credit hours 1978 4.0 GPA
- KC Artists Coalition, Sept. 2016- present ~ Art League of Alexandria, July 2016-present
- Member KC's International Visitor's Council: Hosted 2 guests from abroad Azerbaijan for 10 days
- K-Club Letter Women: Kansas University Diving Team 1976 – 1980 Varsity
- National Art Education Association - 1989-2016
- Art experimentation, swimming, singing, travel, hiking, art museums.
My husband, Terry, Engineer Manager at HNTB Corporation, lead engineer for enlargement of Arlington Cemetery, Arlington VA.
Married for 38 years, raised our 3 adult daughters with 4 Grandchildren:
- Shannon: Civil Environmental Engineer, AECom Chicago IL,
- Kelly: MS Johns Hopkins School of International Studies 2012, Assistant to the Dean of International Studies, University of Maryland
- Bridget: Founder/Manufacturer/Designer of NOVAA (LLC), KC based, ethically sourced sustainably made clothing and products.